Edith M. Cullen, MD
Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Physician
- Back injuries & conditions
- Bone Health
- Elbow injuries & conditions
- Hip injuries & conditions
- Knee injuries & conditions
- Neck injuries & conditions
- Shoulder injuries & conditions
- Sports medicine
Dr. Edith Cullen took a long and winding path on her way to OSMC. Originally from a small town in Texas, she went to Austin College, where she was a four-year collegiate swimmer for the division 3A college swim team. She was an academic All-American in swimming and was on the Austin College dean’s list for all four years she was there. She graduated magnum cum laude with a BA in biology. She then went to Texas Tech University School of Medicine. Upon graduation from medical school, Dr. Cullen completed a preliminarily internal medicine year at the University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria. While there, she was recognized as the rotating Resident of the Year in the emergency department.
Dr. Cullen then served in the U.S. Air Force as a flight surgeon. While on active duty, she cultivated her love of caring for those suffering from musculoskeletal complaints. Captain Cullen serve multiple tours in Southeast Asia. During this time, she received the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and was recognized as the Desert Medic of the Month by the 379th Expeditionary Medical Group. While stationed at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi, Dr. Cullen was integral to the effort to rebuild the base and other Gulf Coast areas following Hurricane Katrina. She was awarded the Company Grade Officer of the Quarter three times. She also provided medical care for “hurricane hunters" and members of other air squadrons.
After leaving the USAF, Dr. Cullen returned to Texas to complete her family medicine residency in 2012 at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler, Texas. She then made her way to Indiana to complete a fellowship in primary care sports medicine at the Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis. Upon completion of the fellowship, she made her way north to join the OSMC medical team.
Dr. Cullen is board certified in family medicine and has a certificate of qualification in primary care sports medicine. She is passionate about sports-related injuries and fracture care. Currently, she is at the forefront of developing an active osteoporosis/bone health program at OSMC to assist patients from all across Elkhart County.
Dr. Cullen has an extensive list of volunteer experiences, including working with the Special Olympics, Habitat for Humanity, Christian Medical Dental Association in Juarez, Mexico, Easter Seals, and Jewish Voice Ministry medical mission work. She is active in the local church and community. She currently functions as the team doctor for Elkhart Central High School and Goshen College.
She is married with 3 children and multiple pets and is very close to her family. In her spare time, Dr. Cullen enjoys scuba diving, the outdoors, swimming, and playing with her children.
The most important thing in her life is her relationship with God. She strives to show compassion and grace on a daily basis and prays for patients and family alike. She hopes to be a source of support, comfort, hope, and guidance for her patients.
- "Dr. Cullen has been so thorough, helpful and encouraging. The rest of the staff have been great, too, and all have been happy to answer my questions."
- Dr. Cullen was great! Very honest and very kind and caring. I broke my foot and she was so helpful and understanding. I went back for a recheck and unfortunately the break had gotten worse, but Dr. Cullen referred me to a specialist who she assured me would take good care of me and would be very honest if surgery was needed. I highly recommend OSMC Health and Aquatics center. The entire staff was very friendly and made my experience very good.
- “I have never met a doctor who is more friendly or compassionate. Dr. Cullen is amazing!”
- “Dr. Cullen was extremely attentive and spent ample time describing what the problem was, what my options were as well as what I could possibly run into in the future if the problem persists.”
- "Dr. Cullen was amazing with my 4-year-old, who was the patient. She talked to him and included him in the discussion."
- “Dr. Cullen was wonderful and really talked me through my options to help me make a decision. She did not give me any false hope or say that my trigger thumb would never come back.”
- Texas Tech University School of Medicine, Lubbock, TX
Blog - Articles for Patients
- Elkhart General Hospital
- Goshen Health Hospital
- OSMC Outpatient Surgery Center, Elkhart
Schedule your appointment with orthopedic and sports medicine physician Dr. Edith Cullen by calling OSMC at (574) 264-0791 or book an appointment now.