J. Benjamin Smucker, MD
Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgeon
- Joint replacement
- Knee injuries & conditions
- Shoulder injuries & conditions
- Sports medicine
- Work injury care
Dr. Ben Smucker specializes in knee and shoulder surgery. He completed his medical degree at Indiana University School of Medicine and his residency in Cleveland at Case Western Reserve University. He is fellowship-trained in orthopedic sports medicine, having trained in Miami, Florida, at UHZ Sports Medicine Institute (now Miami Orthopedics & Sports Medicine Institute.)
Dr. Smucker is board certified in orthopedics with subspecialty certification in orthopedic sports medicine by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
His professional memberships include the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS), the Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA), the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM), and the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
Dr. Smucker moved back to his hometown of Goshen and joined OSMC in 2010. His father and grandfather both practiced surgery in Goshen and his brothers practice orthopedic spine surgery and neurosurgery. His family background in medicine, along with an overseas health experience during a Study Service Term while a student at Goshen College, gave him exposure to healthcare that ultimately lead him into orthopedics. He has continued to be involved with Goshen College and has volunteered as the team orthopedic surgeon since 2010.
Dr. Smucker has a commitment to evidence-based and quality surgical and nonsurgical orthopedic treatment. He has served as the chairman of surgery and chairman of surgical review at Elkhart General Hospital and is a member of the Medical Staff Quality Improvement Committee.
In his free time, Dr. Smucker spends as much time as possible with his wife and three girls and enjoys watching soccer, cooking, music, and outdoor activities.
- "Dr. Smucker is wonderful! He explains everything in detail about progress in your healing, next steps and future goals in your treatment plan. I am thankful he is the doctor that performed my surgery after an accident. The extended staff are friendly, helpful & sensitive to patient's needs. Thank you all!"
- “Dr. Smucker is thorough, kind, and easy to talk to. I highly recommend him!”
- “I had my surgery at the Elkhart Surgery Center. Everyone there and the physical therapy staff I worked with were great.”
- "Dr. Smucker was very patient in explaining my procedure and answered every question I had."
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
- Elkhart General Hospital
- Goshen Health Hospital
- OSMC Outpatient Surgery Center, Elkhart
Schedule your appointment with orthopedic sports medicine surgeon Dr. Benjamin Smucker by calling OSMC at (574) 264-0791 or book an appointment now.