Mark A. Klaassen, MD
- Hip injuries & conditions
- Joint replacement
- Knee injuries & conditions
- Shoulder injuries & conditions
Board-certified orthopedic surgeon Mark Klaassen joined OSMC in 1987. His areas of expertise include knee, hip, and shoulder total joint replacement and arthroscopic surgery.
Dr. Klaassen learned early on what caring for others is all about. The son of missionaries, he grew up in Colombia, where the positive impact of helping others pointed him toward a career in medicine.
He returned home to the U.S. at 15 to continue his education. He received his undergraduate degree at Goshen College and his medical degree in 1982 from the Indiana University School of Medicine at Notre Dame and the IU Medical Center. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency training at Lutheran Hospital in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He is board-certified in orthopaedic surgery by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery.
During his career, Dr. Klaassen has mentored other orthopedic surgeons throughout the U.S. and other countries, providing instruction on advanced orthopedic surgical techniques and procedures – many of which he was instrumental in developing. For example, Dr. Klaassen was a pioneer in advancing the use of a patient’s own platelets (derived from a blood sample) to energize the healing process and accelerate recovery following joint replacement surgery. He is especially proud of his ability to make a difference in the quality of life for his patients.
Dr. Klaassen currently serves as professor of practice in the College of Sciences at the University of Notre Dame. He also serves as a consultant and developer for Zimmer Biomet, Medacta, and Exactech.
Dr. Klaassen is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS) and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (FAAOS). He is also an active member of numerous medical organizations, including the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS), American Medical Association (AMA), Mennonite Medical Association (MMA), American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (AOFAS), American Fracture Association (AFA), and the Indiana Orthopaedic Society.
In his spare time, Dr. Klaassen enjoys boating, bicycling, traveling, hiking, and water sports.
Dr. Klaassen is fluent in both English and Spanish.
- “Dr. Klaassen is excellent. I have recommended him to several friends with knee problems.”
- "Wow! Once again, you are the best. Rehab says I'm way ahead, thanks to your help. I feel Elkhart is very blessed to have physicians of your caliber here for us. Thank you so much for your dedication and caring."
- "I have always been impressed by and happy with Dr. Klaassen."
- "Dr. Klaassen was wonderful to work with in a difficult situation, which was an unusual revision surgery."
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN
- Elkhart General Hospital
- Goshen Health Hospital
- OSMC Outpatient Surgery Center, Elkhart
Find out more about Dr. Klaassen by watching the videos on his Youtube channel.
Schedule your appointment with Dr. Klaassen by calling OSMC at (574) 264-0791 or book an appointment now.