Jeffrey R. Sonntag, DO
Orthopedic Shoulder and Elbow Surgeon
Orthopedic shoulder and elbow surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Sonntag joined OSMC in 2018.
Dr. Sonntag attended Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan, where he obtained a bachelor of science in physiology in 2007. While an undergraduate student, he had the opportunity to participate in a Study Abroad program at the University of London in the UK. While there, he studied the ethical issues that arose in the allocation of resources for the British National Health Service, compared to the U.S. healthcare model.
Dr. Sonntag earned his medical degree from MSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine in 2012. He then completed his orthopedic residency training in 2017 at McLaren Macomb Hospital in Mount Clemens, Michigan. He followed that with additional training in the form of a shoulder and elbow fellowship under Michael Wirth, MD, and Stephen Burkhart, MD, at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio, Texas, in 2018.
Dr. Sonntag is board certified by the American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics.
Dr. Sonntag has served as a clinical instructor at the Department of Osteopathic Surgical Specialties at MSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine since 2012.
- "Dr. Sonntag performed an emergency full hip replacement surgery on me. He was very thorough in explaining what needed to be done right away. Afterwards when I saw him for my follow-up appointments, Dr. Sonntag was always very patient, kind and gave full explanations of necessary care. I highly recommend him."
- "I saw Dr. Sontag, him along with his staff are wonderful. He took his time & really listened."
- "Dr. Sonntag's treatment plan and care have literally kept me walking! He has been able to delay the need for knee replacement surgery. He and his assistant Sarah are a perfect blend of efficiency, care and professionalism. I feel so very fortunate to have found them!"
- "Dear Dr. Sonntag, This is just a note of thanks for your great help and surgery for my hip replacement. I am amazed at how well the new hip has done. Recover and therapy has gone well! You made me feel so at ease and I would highly recommend you and everyone at OSMC."
- “Dr. Sonntag spent lots of time with me. He is very personable, and he certainly knows what he is talking about.”
- "He is very thoughtful and considerate of my needs.
- Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine, East Lansing, MI
Blog - Articles for Patients
- OSMC Outpatient Surgery Center, Elkhart
- Beacon Elkhart General Hospital, Elkhart
- Beacon Memorial Hospital, South Bend
Schedule your appointment with orthopedic shoulder and elbow surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Sonntag by calling OSMC at (574) 264-0791 or book an appointment now.