Christopher M. Annis, MD
Anesthesiologist / Pain Management Physician
Pain management specialist Christopher Annis, MD, joined the OSMC staff in 2011 after completing a fellowship in pain medicine at the University of Chicago. His impressive academic accomplishments started at Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, where he graduated summa cum laude with a degree in pre-med and biology. Next, he spent time with Syracuse University’s Summer Abroad Program, studying health policy and law in London, Geneva, and Amsterdam, before returning to the U.S. to earn his MD degree at the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2006. Upon earning his MD, he took up a residency in anesthesiology at The Ohio State University where, during his senior year, he was voted chief resident in addition to Hardest-Working Resident two years in a row.
Dr. Annis is a member of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the Indiana Society of Anesthesiologists. He is board certified in anesthesiology as well as pain management by the American Board of Anesthesiology. Additionally, he has been a frequent presenter and lecturer at medical conferences focused on advanced pain management and anesthesiology techniques and has contributed to several research projects, journal articles, and texts.
Beyond his hands-on medical practice, Dr. Annis takes an active interest in advancing appropriate anesthesia-related legislation. He also enjoys a life outside the medical community, spending time on wood refinishing, stained glass, cooking, and playing guitar.
- "Dr. Annis was kind, clear, and detailed in his explanations. He provided a shared treatment plan starting immediately, plus, he explained a plan B that brought me peace."
- "Dr. Annis spent the time to explain everything thoroughly and completely, using vivid, visual analogies to explain complex medical terminology in a way anyone could understand. It was really a great experience."
- Dr Annis is a wonderful pain doctor. He's not afraid to take time with me and discuss anything I want to discuss, new ideas, different things to try, natural healing, new treatments... You will not be a number with him, he actually cares.
- "Dr. Annis is incredibly attentive and listens to you as a patient. It's so important to feel heard when you are hurting physically."
- “This was my first appointment with Dr. Annis, who was highly recommended by a friend of mine. Dr. Annis did an excellent job of asking questions, explaining things, and working with me on a plan of action."
- “Dr. Annis’s nurse has always been caring and sympathetic – and even empathetic. I’ve never felt belittled for any concern I have. The communication between her and Dr. Annis is great – she obviously updates him before he comes into the room.”
- "I wish all my doctors were like Dr. Annis."
- University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL
Blog - Articles for Patients
- Elkhart General Hospital
- OSMC Outpatient Surgery Center, Elkhart
Schedule your appointment with pain management physician Dr. Christopher Annis by calling OSMC at (574) 264-0791 or book an appointment now.