Dislocated Elbow Treatment in Northern Indiana
What is a Dislocated Elbow?
A dislocated elbow occurs when the bones of the forearm and the humerus are forcefully displaced from their normal position at the elbow joint. This can result from traumatic injuries, falls, or accidents that cause the joint to move out of place.
At OSMC, our experienced orthopedic specialists are well-equipped to diagnose and provide comprehensive treatment options. Trust us to guide you through your journey to recovery, restoring functionality and comfort to your elbow joint.
What are the Symptoms of a Dislocated Elbow?
Recognizing the symptoms is crucial for seeking prompt medical attention.
Common signs to be aware of include:
- Severe pain - Intense pain at the site of the elbow joint
- Swelling and bruising - Inflammation and discoloration around the affected area
- Limited range of motion - Difficulty or inability to move the elbow
- Deformed appearance - The elbow may appear visibly out of place or misaligned
- Numbness or tingling - Sensations of numbness or tingling in the forearm or hand
- Weakness - Reduced strength or difficulty in gripping objects
- Visible dislocation - In severe cases, the dislocated bones may be visible beneath the skin
If you suspect a dislocated elbow, it’s essential to seek immediate medical attention.
What Causes a Dislocated Elbow?
Understanding the causes of a dislocated elbow is crucial for effective treatment and prevention. This injury typically occurs due to a significant force or impact applied to the elbow joint.
Common causes include:
- Falls - Landing on an outstretched hand can force the elbow joint out of alignment
- Sports injuries - High-impact sports or accidents during athletic activities
- Trauma - Direct blows to the elbow, such as in car accidents or collisions
- Accidental impact - Trips, slips, or sudden impacts can dislocate the elbow joint
What is the Treatment for a Dislocated Elbow?
Effective treatment for a dislocated elbow is essential for restoring functionality and minimizing complications. Depending on the severity and specific circumstances of your dislocated elbow,
treatment may include:
- Closed reduction - Our experts may manipulate the bones back into their proper position without surgery
- Immobilization - The use of a splint, brace, or cast to stabilize the elbow during healing
- Physical therapy - Targeted exercises to regain strength, flexibility, and range of motion
- Pain management - Medications to alleviate discomfort and reduce inflammation
- Surgical intervention - In complex cases or when bones are severely damaged, surgery may be required
Your treatment will be dependent upon the cause of your injury and the severity of it.
Dislocated Elbow Care in Michiana
Discover specialized care for your elbow at OSMC, your trusted orthopedic partner in Michiana.
If you’re dealing with the challenges of a dislocated elbow, our experienced orthopedic specialists are here to provide expert evaluation and personalized treatment solutions.
For more information, give us a call or schedule an appointment online with one of our elbow specialists. Our orthopedic clinic has multiple locations. We serve patients in Elkhart, IN, Goshen, IN, Granger, IN, Middlebury, IN, and Nappanee, IN along with two walk-in orthopedic clinics.
OSMC Elbow Specialists