Sciatica Treatment in Northern Indiana
What is Sciatica?
Sciatica refers to the discomfort caused by the compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve, which runs from the lower back down through the hips and buttocks, extending to the legs. This condition can result from many factors, such as herniated discs, spinal stenosis, or muscle spasms.
At OSMC, our experienced orthopedic specialists are dedicated to diagnosing and treating sciatica, providing you with expert care to help you find relief and regain your mobility. Trust us to guide you through your journey to a pain-free and active life.
What are the Symptoms of Sciatica?
Recognizing the symptoms of sciatica is crucial for seeking timely care and relief. Common signs to be aware of include:
- Lower back pain - Discomfort originating in the lower back, often radiating down one leg
- Leg pain - Sharp or shooting pain along the sciatic nerve pathway
- Numbness and tingling - Sensations of numbness, tingling, or pins and needles in the leg or foot
- Muscle weakness - Reduced strength or difficulty in moving the leg or foot
- Pain aggravation - Intensified pain when sitting, coughing, or sneezing
- Burning sensation - A sensation of burning or searing along the nerve pathway
- Pain variability - Symptoms ranging from mild to severe and intermittent
What Causes Sciatica?
Understanding the underlying causes of sciatica is essential for effective treatment. This condition typically arises when the sciatic nerve becomes compressed or irritated. Common factors that contribute to sciatica include:
- Herniated discs - Discs between the vertebrae protrude and press on the nerve
- Spinal stenosis - Narrowing of the spinal canal, resulting in nerve compression
- Piriformis syndrome - Irritation of the piriformis muscle, affecting the nearby nerve
- Spondylolisthesis - Displacement of a vertebra, leading to nerve compression
- Trauma or injury - Accidents cause direct pressure on the nerve
- Degenerative disc disease - Wear and tear of spinal discs
What is the Treatment for Sciatica?
Effective treatment for sciatica is crucial to alleviate pain and restore functionality. At OSMC, we offer comprehensive care options to address this condition. Depending on the severity and underlying causes, treatment may include:
- Pain management - Over-the-counter pain relievers or prescription medications to alleviate discomfort and inflammation
- Physical therapy - Targeted exercises and stretches designed to improve flexibility, strengthen supporting muscles, and alleviate pressure on the affected nerve
- Epidural steroid injections - For cases requiring more immediate and potent relief, specialists may administer epidural steroid injections, effectively reducing inflammation around the nerve and mitigating pain
- Surgical intervention - In cases of severe compression or when conservative approaches prove inadequate, surgery may be considered to address the underlying issues and alleviate pressure on the sciatic nerve
- Lifestyle modifications - Experts may provide guidance on ergonomic practices, proper posture, and activities to avoid or modify
Sciatica Care in Michiana
Discover specialized care for sciatica at OSMC, your trusted orthopedic partner in Michiana. Our experienced orthopedic specialists understand the challenges that come with sciatic nerve pain.
For more information, give us a call or schedule an appointment online with one of our spine specialists. Our orthopedic clinic has multiple locations. We serve patients in Elkhart, IN, Goshen, IN, Granger, IN, Middlebury, IN, and Nappanee, IN. We also have two walk-in orthopedic clinics.
OSMC Back & Spine Specialists